Pages

Tuesday 10 July 2012

V8 Supercars - Loud and colourful

Friday, 6 July to Sunday, 8 July 2012
Warren has always loved watching the V8s on TV so when we just missed them in Townsville 2 years ago, he said we should try to coordinate our next stay in Townsville with the event. So for this trip we planned a week in Townsville to coincide. As I'm not a big fan, I thought I would volunteer over the weekend to keep myself busy and involved.

Carrerra Cup Porches ready to go on track
It is a street circuit just out of town and about a 45 minute walk from the marina. Warren had a great time and I also enjoyed it although I must admit it is only the true believers that love the noise and smell.
Grid girls seemed popular with the male patrons

I worked as a Corporate Facility Usher, resplendent in my lime green polo and V8 cap (more goods for the Louisiades) keeping the riff raff out of the corporate boxes.

Formula Fords up close
My Mum had had a visit from my cousin Ian recently and as he was also going to the event we arranged to meet. It turned out he was in one of the boxes in my area which was quite a coincidence. I was also surprised to see Murray from my TAFE ISAS project who now works for the V8s in Sydney. Small world!

Craig Lowndes and Dick Johnson were regular visitors to my area and I spotted a number of other celebrities including Can Do Campbell. The locals are hoping his Can Do attitude extends to funding this event in the future.

Craig Lowndes is very popular with the fans
It has rained almost continually since Monday morning so the organizers were very lucky with the weather. We leave the marina tomorrow, Wednesday, to spend a few weeks exploring the nearby islands.

Print this post

No comments: